Saturday, May 26, 2007

Tom Sawyer Island pt 1- Castle Rock

With this week's opening of Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, I thought that I would share a few photographs of the island before its transformation. These posts will also include a couple of vintage pictures of the island (If you consider 1980's pictures taken with a Kodak disc camera vintage).


Castle rock before its 2003 remodel. About fifteen years before. Sure it may not be as safe as it is now, but aesthetically, it was very beautiful. Although, the addition of Tom and Huck's lookout was done very well.


A slightly different angle just before the remodel. I always got confused when I roamed around the caves as a kid. They seemed so large and mysterious.


One thing Tom Sawyer Island Has is Signs. Every piece of rock work, or bridge had a name. I suppose it helped kids remember their favorite part of the island.


Teeter rock before it they sealed it to the ground. That really made me sad.


PLEASE
WATCH YOUR BALANCE
THIS TEETER-TOTTER ROCK TILTS!

I have to admit that I am intrigued by the new Tom Sawyer island, but I am also sad that so much of it changed, especially with the rumors of Fort Wilderness' impending demise.

Tags:

No comments: